Changed your plans? Just fancy a lie in? No problem, just refund your tickets with us!
- Available for unused Anytime, Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak train tickets – but not on Advance tickets (see Amending an Advance ticket)
- Send your refund request, image of unused tickets and booking reference back to us within 28 days of the final date your ticket is valid.
You can also seek Delay Repay compensation directly from your train operator if you travelled but your train was delayed. Just remember to make your claim as soon as you can. Most operators can only accept claims made within 28 days of your travel date.
- Book your new journey on Railsmartr.co.uk using the rules we’ve given below.
- Email our refunds team with your new and original booking reference numbers. Remember to send this to us no later than 6pm the day before your original train is due to depart.
- We’ll refund your original booking and send an email to let you know when this is done.
- Book your new ticket(s) with the same train operator and origin & destination stations as your original ticket.
- Get in touch with us via email with your new booking details no later than 6pm the day before you are due to travel. If you contact us after this time, standard terms relating to Advance ticket exchanges will apply.
- from the same origin station
- to the same destination station
- using the same ‘route’ (for example, “Avanti West Coast only”)
- the same ticket type (Advance)
- email email@example.com with the reference number of your original booking and your new booking. If you only want to cancel some Advance tickets in your original booking, please state which ones these are.
- if you have collected your ticket from a ticket machine, or it was posted to you, then you will need to cut both the ticket and the reservation coupon in half. Then, you will need to take a photograph and attach the photograph to your email to us as well. Otherwise, we cannot cancel your old Advance ticket.
- if your new Advance ticket costs the same as, or more than, your old Advance ticket, we will refund the cost of your old Advance ticket in full.
- if your new Advance ticket costs less than your old Advance ticket, we will refund the cost of your new Advance ticket.
- This means you’ll have to sit in Standard Class for part of your travel
- The good news is your ticket price will always reflect this
- We always make sure this information shows on your screen when you book your tickets, so you can decide before you buy
- For full details, please check the National Rail Conditions of Travel.
- the train operating company
- the type of train
- the time of day
- the day of the week